Lomi 'Ulu recipe: from the kitchen of Aunty Shirley Kauhaihao
- 2 cups mature, cooked ulu, 1/4 to 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 Tbs. inamona
- 1 Tbs. rock or sea salt
- 2 stalks green onion, finely sliced
- 1/4 cup sweet onion, chopped
- 2 chili pepper (chopped) or chili pepper water to taste, optional
- 3/4 cup tomatoes, chopped
- In a large bowl, combine ulu with salt, toss contents and set aside.
- In a separate bowl, combine the remaining ingredients, except chili pepper. Toss or fold to bend.
- Add ulu to the mixture and chili peppers (optional) and mix well.
- Add more salt to taste.
- Serve as a salad or as a dip with crackers or chips. Enjoy!
Words by Shirley Kauhaihao and photo by Craig Elevitch
Do you have a favorite recipe using 'ulu (breadfruit)? Let us know in the comments below or post your recipe (and photos) on our Facebook group page!